“Oreos for breakfast? Seems legit.”

The longer I’ve felt stagnant, the more I’ve looked for substitutes for genuine good feelings, and my favorite by far has been sugar.

Sugar makes everything alright.

It’s a treat, a consolation, a celebration. It’s nostalgia, it’s hopefulness for the future, it is everything. It’s the shortest route to an instant spike in satisfaction.

Candy bars have popped up in my desk drawer at work so that I can pacify myself through the long afternoons. & when I open that drawer only to find no more treats inside, I feel antsy until I’ve found a moment to sneak away & walk to the CVS on the corner for a refill.

Life feels a little lighter from the time I have the package in hand. Once the familiar crackle of wrapper-opening has begun (typically on the walk back to work), things are really looking up.


Except, nothing has fundamentally changed. No matter how much sugar I ply myself with, my reasons for needing consolation have not gone away. So, it’s time for a fundamental change.

Comments

Popular Posts