Dream away.

Imagining another life for myself is the beginning of creating it.

As I thought about sketching and painting again, it occurred to me that those drawings could fit into my plans of becoming a Speech Language Pathologist. Maybe I could create my own therapy materials someday?

It is so strange, picking a new career. Like spinning a globe and then heading off to wherever your finger lands, it can feel like a big decision made with very little information about where it is you’re going and how much you’d truly like it there.

So, I’ve been reading the blogs of the people who are already on that path, and I love a lot of what I’ve seen. The brightness and ingenuity in the methods of the therapist behind The Little Stories blog is especially appealing to me.

I look at her photos and my own vision gets a little clearer. So this is what it would be like. I want to do that.  


I have many, many years of school and training ahead of me before I’d be able to develop materials and therapies of my own, but eventually that’s where I’d be. I like the sound of that. I’ve found that what’s most important to me is having autonomy and being able to work creatively, having a say in the shape and form of what it is I do (and hopefully, helping someone else in the process, in whatever small way). It’s what I feel in jewelry-making, in drawing, in writing. 

It’s what I want to do.  

Comments

Popular Posts